[OS X Emacs] trouble with ediff? or standard behavior? (was: trouble with ediff after updating Aquamacs)

Thomas Käufl kaeufl at online.de
Thu Oct 6 15:18:03 EDT 2016

> Am 06.10.2016 um 20:10 schrieb David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com>:
>
> On Oct 6, 2016, at 10:22 AM, Thomas Käufl <kaeufl at online.de> wrote:
>
>> The Gnu Emacs (24.5) does not show this behaviour.
>>
>> As the control panel is necessary to visit the differences
>> of two buffers, it seems to me, that there is an error
>> in the new version of Aquamacs.
>
> I’m not trying to sound overly defensive, ...

hm, I know, the Aquamacs is only a part of your work.
The main part of your work is your research. So,
I can skip the remainder of the paragraph.

> The first step to isolate problems is to run Aquamacs without customizations via the Help -> Diagnose menu.

I did that. The problem persists.

> If the problem persists, you would need to look at the ediff code.  C-h f ediff RET should give you help, and clicking on the source file at the top will take you to the lisp code that makes ediff work.  Look for how these buffers are displayed (`pop-to-buffer’, `switch-to-buffer’), if new frames are made and how.

I had a quick look into ediff.el.

The function switch to buffer is not present there. To
find out what pop-to-buffer does it seems necessary to me
to consider the definition of this function in window.el.
This will take some time.

Thomas