[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Meta key

Elliott Roper elliott at yrl.co.uk
Sat Mar 11 15:13:24 EST 2017

> On 11 Mar 2017, at 18:12, Elliott Roper <elliott at yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> On 11 Mar 2017, at 15:51, 7stud <7stud at excite.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> About every half hour when I'm using Aquamacs, I (mis)type a key sequence, and my Meta key, which is the default Option key, changes to "Option for composed characters", which can be seen in in the Auqamacs menu bar under:
>>
>> Options > Option, Command, Meta keys > Option for composed characters
<snip>

Sorry to follow up on my own post, but I just realised what that REALLY does. It is so useful that if any developer dares 'disable this feature forthwith' I shall climb down through the internet and rip their bloody arms off.(1)

I have always used C-\ to change my input mode to latin-1-pefix whenever I needed an accent or an umlaut over some character, then I would rummage in the documentation to discover (remind myself) that I needed to say "u to get ü. However, if I use the C-; you hate so much I get access to all the Mac's Keyboard Viewer magic for composing characters that is burned into the brain of every Mac-head.

That's so useful that I have abandoned making sense of the code in ‘emulate-mac-keyboard-mode.el’

Sorry. You are out of luck. (grin)

1. If you are not Australian, search YouTube for "Farewell Aunty Jack”
regards,

Elliott Roper