[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Meta key

Elliott Roper elliott at yrl.co.uk
Sat Mar 11 16:30:42 EST 2017

> On 11 Mar 2017, at 20:27, Iliya Lefterov <iliya.lefterov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What was the reason you stopped using Emacs?
>> On Mar 11, 2017, at 3:13 PM, Elliott Roper <elliott at yrl.co.uk <mailto:elliott at yrl.co.uk>> wrote:

Sorry Ilya, I did not realise how my post would look to someone for whom English was not their first language. I have not stopped using Emacs at all. I'm still learning and liking Emacs in its Aquamacs form very much. I was trying to explain to 7stud that the C-; command was useful to someone used to MacOS keyboard shortcuts and should not be removed even to make things easier for us beginners.

If you were asking why I use Aquamacs rather than raw Emacs in Terminal it is because Aquamacs integrates with MacOS and related facilities like AucTeX rather elegantly.

If you refer to my "I have abandoned making sense of the code in "emulate-mac-keyboard-mode.el" remark, what I meant was that I currently know very little elisp and I was trying to understand:-

(define-key menu-bar-option-key-menu [option-to-system]
  `(menu-item "Option for composed characters   "
    toggle-mac-option-modifier
;; not yet known.    :key-sequence [(,osxkeys-command-key \;)]
    :visible (boundp 'mac-option-modifier)
    :help "Toggle whether to let Option key behave as Emacs key,
do not let it produce special characters (passing the key to the system)."
    :button (:toggle . (not mac-option-modifier))))

because I don't know what :visible, :button and :toggle do. I can guess, but not well enough to use them correctly.  …yet <grin>

regards,
Elliott