[OS X Emacs] Directory for loading ESSR

Braun, Michael braunm at mail.smu.edu
Tue Jan 1 16:57:07 EST 2019

David:

Following your suggestion, I removed all non-Aquamacs versions of ESS, including the 18.10.2 version from Melpa.  With the Aquamacs built-in ESS 17.11, the error disappeared.

Then, working with the ESS git repository, I started backtracking when the error might have occurred in the commit history.  I traced it back to a commit shortly after 17.11 was released, on 19 Nov 2017 (commit 151b003 is the first time it appeared).  There was a change in lisp/ess-utils.el related to "Only try to detect `ess-etc-directory` if not already set up.”

I also downloaded Emacs for Mac OS X (26.1), to see if this error occurs on other emacsen.  It does not, even with the most recent ESS, v18.10.2.

Thanks,

Michael