[OS X Emacs] Problem with key-description in Aquamacs 3.4

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Mar 4 16:03:59 EST 2019

On 4 Mar 2019, at 15:00, David Reitter wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 3:55 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info>
> wrote:
>> I see the appeal of that method, but it seems like doubling the
>> number of upstreams that would have to agree. I might be able to get
>> the SLIME folks to accept a patch, but I have no idea how one goes
>> about getting the FSF folks to do so
>
> Better than adding another hack to Aquamacs and SLIME.
>
> Once you have a function, I’m happy to help getting it accepted.  I
> have write access to GNU Emacs, though I’d usually discuss on the
> mailing list first.

That sounds reasonable.  But wouldn't it be equally reasonable to add a
`readable-p` optional argument to the existing function?  "Readable"
isn't *quite* the right term, but the notion is that one can round-trip
through `kbd`, and I call it "readable" by analogy to Common Lisp's
`print-readably` flag.

I'm open to correction, though -- you know far more about the internals
of Emacs than I do!  For example, I have no idea if one can effectively
use optional arguments in C functions.

Any idea why this function is written in C? It doesn't seem obviously
like an inner-loop function.