[OS X Emacs] Problem with key-description in Aquamacs 3.4

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Mar 4 16:34:29 EST 2019

On 4 Mar 2019, at 15:18, David Reitter wrote:

> What is SLIME trying to achieve here?
>
> That’s the first question we need to ask.

I wish I knew!

The call to `key-description` was added to `slime-selector` by Stas
Boukaraev, in a commit whose comment reads:

```
slime-selector: accept C-x.

Treat C-x/M-x as "x".
```

I have no idea how the call to `key-description` achieves this, except
that if the key sequence read is of length three, he throws away the
first and second elements.  Presumably because he expects them to be
`?C` and `?-`

I have no idea why it's a good thing to accept "Ctrl-X" but treat it as
just "x".  That seems wrong to me.  In a following commit he translates
the TAB key into the character lower-case "I", which also seems ... ????

Recognizing multi-character sequences seems reasonable, but translating
them into arbitrary other meanings seems weird to me.