[OS X Emacs] how to make Command-V overwrite highlighted regions again?

David Romano dromano at stanford.edu
Sun Mar 17 17:14:47 EDT 2019

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM Win Treese <treese at acm.org> wrote:

> > On Mar 16, 2019, at 10:01 PM, David Romano <dromano at stanford.edu> wrote:
> >
> > I must have inadvertently disabled this behavior and I'm not sure how to
> get it back.  All I found on searching for a solution were mentions of
> smartparens interfering with delete-selection-mode, but
> delection-selection-mode is on, and I can delete a region by hitting
> delete, and I don't use smartparens.  The problem is that when I try to
> overwrite a region by pasting, this just results in the clipboard contents
> being inserted after the region.
>
> Is transient-mark-mode enabled? It probably should be for that to work.
>
> It’s also possible that the setting for cua-mode affects it. Is that set
> or not?
>
> Good luck with this.
>
>  - Win

Thanks, Win: I can't tell what went wrong, but everything went back to
normal after a restart.   I don't know if you saw my follow-up post, but it
turned out all kinds of things were behaving strangely.  I'm left wondering
whether it was due to a faulty interaction between me, git, and the
emacsclient since I've never seen something like this before, but I'll be
sure to check both of those mode next time, just to make sure.

Thanks again,
David