[OS X Emacs] problem with auctex

Braun, Michael braunm at mail.smu.edu
Mon Aug 10 13:54:21 EDT 2020

Two things:

1.  Adding (unload-feature ’tex-site) anywhere in Preferences.el generates the following error on launch of Aquamacs:

error: Loaded libraries ("/Users/braunm/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Packages/elpa/auctex-12.2.4/auctex-autoloads.el") depend on /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/tex-site.el

2.  I’ve narrowed the source of the font-latex warnings to opening LaTeX documents that use packages that then use the  expl3 package.  For example, I use both the fontspec and biblatex packages in my work.  Both of them load expl3, so when I open a tex document that loads them, I get the warning twice.  The code below generates the warning once.  It goes away after removing \usepackage{expl3}.

\documentclass{article}

% \usepackage{fontspec}
% \usepackage{biblatex}
\usepackage{expl3}  % This package alone triggers the error

\begin{document}

Text here.
$\alpha+\beta$

\end{document}

So it appears the “trigger” is in edit-modes/auctex/style/expl3.el .

I hope this helps with further diagnostics.  I am not a lisp programmer, so I’m now working at the edge of my capabilities.

Michael Braun
Associate Professor of Marketing, and
  Corrigan Research Professor
Cox School of Business