[OS X Emacs] Check Spelling for English and Bulgarian in Aquamacs

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 20:25:47 EDT 2020

Dear Win, Dear All,

I hope you can help me to fix the Check Spelling in Aquamacs. Up to recent,
it used to work excellently for English: with LaTeX, in plain text (.txt
files), with html. I think I had it with Aspell, or with what it was by
downloading and installing Aquamacs. I only set Fly mode, and few other
things.

I'm with:

MacBook Air, 13" (2017)
macOS Catalina, v.10.15.5

Aquamacs 3.5

The spell checking in Aquamacs has become messed up, i.e., worsened, after
my attempts to get spelling for Bulgarian and Swedish, and in particular,
by attempts to get that by cocoAspell.

I downloaded, unpacked, and installed cocoAspell (by giving it
permissions). But then the Spelling pane in System Preferences couldn't
install any dictionaries, not even for English. I uninstalled cocoAspell,
by the instructions on its website. After that Spell Checking has worsened
in Aquamacs.

Now, by random tests, I get misspelled words, underlined as misspelled, but
with inappropriate suggestions, or without any choices. E.g., for
"unsucsessful", with "Esc-$", the list of offered corrections is empty. I
only get "C-h or ? for more options: ..."

Before these attempts, I used to get good optional choices for misspelled
words of English, with Fly Spell.

Now, my questions are:

(1) How to fix the spell checking for English?
Perhaps Aquamacs came with GNU Aspell, and now it's with something else.
The dictionary for EN is STANDARD:
Edit > Spelling > Customize...
Subgroups: FliSpell
Flyspell Default Dictionary: Value Menu Default
    State : STANDARD.

(2) How to get Spell Checking for Bulgarian in Aquamacs?

Here is what I've tried, without cocoAspell:

I downloaded aspell6-bg-4.1-0.tar.bz2 from:
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html

I unzipped and tried installation of the dictionary (aspell6-bg-4.1-0) from
the Terminal:

- by instructions inside aspell6-bg-4.1-0/README:

$ ./configure
Finding Dictionary file location ... /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60
Finding Data file location ... /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60

After that, I get the following error, which I do not know how to fix:

$ make
xcrun: error: invalid active developer path
(/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at:
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

Spell Checking and Grammar works in some of the applications:

- Gmail (I'm especially pleased, as of now)
- MS Word: even if I have very limited experence  with MS, I could easily
check the Help menue how to do it.

(3) After I fix (1)-(2), I would like to have Aquamacs with spell checking
Swedish (Svenska).

Best Regards,
Roussanka