[OS X Emacs] Can't Find File/Directory

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Nov 7 18:39:12 EST 2020

> Am 7.11.2020 um 17:41 schrieb Robert Love <rblove_lists at comcast.net>:
>
> (file-error "Opening directory" "Operation not permitted" "/Users/rlove/Documents/")

Your macOS version is more important here…

I think this is a new means by Apple introduced in some Catalina version to protect areas of the disk from unauthorised access. The cure is in System Preferences! Select Security & Privacy and then the Privacy category – and maybe unlock the lock (if necessary). In the left window you have in the list an item "Files and Folders" which you select. Upon this the right window will show applications that you can grant this form of access. Actually I do not know whether it's possible to add another application. Could be the application needs a piece of software, a library call, to express itself as being interested in such access.

I've seen the Emacs applications as provided via MacPorts, both the "Carbon" and the "Mac" variants, ask for permission. Which I gave then – but they are not listed here in System Preferences.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs