[Mac OS X TeX] TeXShop and texhash

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sun Aug 19 11:41:37 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>Folks,

I've been away at a conference. This is a "catchup message."

Cyril Niklaus wrote about using texhash to find files installed
in ~/Library/texmf. These files should be found automatically by TeXShop
without using texhash. However, the latest teTeX seems to be slightly
misconfigured; I suspect that texhash is temporarily necessary. There
may a slight
delay before this is fixed.

Temporarily, then, after installing files in ~/Library/texmf, open the
Terminal
and type

	texhash

The system will complain about unwritable directories, but will correctly
update the ~/Library/texmf index. If you want to update every index, type

	sudo tcsh
	texhash

----------------

Cyril actually used texhash, but it didn't
work for him. The reason is clear in his printout, part of which reads:

	/sw/share/texmf: directory not writable. Skipping...

Notice the start of this message, /sw/share. This message implies
that the Fink version of teTeX is installed and the Fink version of
texhash
is running. Even if it worked, it would upgrade the Fink version of
tetex,
which wouldn't help TeXShop.

Therefore, users who have also installed the Fink tetex need to give
the full binary path to the texhash function in
/usr/local/tetex/bin/......
This is just one of several problems which will occur if you install
the Fink tetex.

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu

"help" (no quotes) in the body.