[Mac OS X TeX] Text Editor, spell checker, and TeX engine interoperability

Michael Goldweber mikeyg at cerebro.cs.xu.edu
Tue Aug 28 22:46:27 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>>How does excalibur interoperate with eudora?

Excalibur supports a technology called "Word Services" that first
showed up in OS 9 (possibly earlier).  In Eudora one can add a Word
Service (from under the Edit menu).  Select Excalibur and presto an
item will not be at the bottom of your Eudora Edit menu: Check
Spelling.  (This is also a keyboard shortcut for this choice as well.)

Selecting this option invokes Excalibur on the body of the message.
When you are done with Excalibur the altered document is placed back
in the message window.  (This I believe is done via copying all of
the buffer to the clipboard, running Excalibur on the clipboard and
then reversing the process with done.)  My hand never needs to go to
the mouse to trigger the interoperability in either direction.  (One
may choose to use the mouse inside of Excalibur though.)

>I have hacked up a tex editor from MCL that uses emacs bindings
>and does lots of rather intelligent tex-specific things.  It also
>uses appleevents to synchronize very precisely with the typeset window
>in textures.   So far neither the editor nor textures work with OSX, however.
>
>The tex editor + TeXtures combo is hard to beat, in my opinion.

I know many that share your opinion.  Nevertheless, Textures is not
OS X ready.  Furthermore it is payware not just shareware.

>mikeyg

>"help" (no quotes) in the body.
>This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
>messages posted by third parties.

Michael Goldweber			Associate Professor of Computer Science
Xavier University			Dept. of Math and Computer Science
email: mikeyg at cerebro.cs.xu.edu	3800 Victory Parkway
phone: (513) 745-3936        		Cincinnati OH 45207-4441
fax: (513) 745-3272
http://cerebro.xu.edu/~mikeyg/

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.