[Mac OS X TeX] Common "pictures" folder?

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Tue Dec 18 05:29:58 EST 2001

On Tuesday, December 18, 2001, at 06:17 , david craig wrote:

>> If you just have some files you want to share, a directory like
>>
>>        ~/Library/texmf/tex
>>
>> would do just fine for TeX inputs. The only thing you absolutely
>> *need* is the correct first level below texmf/
>
> the "tex" in the example above, you mean?

yes

> Question: Will tetex search non-standard directories recursively?  (Not
> at a machine I can test this on for a few days.)  What I have in mind is
> to place a symbolic link to another tree of tex inputs someplace in
> ~/Library/texmf/.

[dumbledore:~] gerben% cd ~/Library/texmf/tex

[dumbledore:~/Library/texmf/tex] gerben% ln -s /tmp symlinktotmp

[dumbledore:~/Library/texmf/tex] gerben% ll

lrwxr-xr-x  1 gerben  staff      4 Dec 18 11:25 symlinktotmp -> /tmp

[dumbledore:~/Library/texmf/tex] gerben% touch /tmp/symlinktest.tex

[dumbledore:~/Library/texmf/tex] gerben% kpsewhich symlinktest.tex
/Network/Users/gerben/Library/texmf/tex/symlinktotmp/symlinktest.tex

The answer is yes. Warning: don't like form your Library/texmf tree to a
large directory. TeX will become a lot slower that way because it will
recursively search that directory any time. If you want that kind of a
link anyway, turn hashes on for your personal tree (some unixy work
required).

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.