[Mac OS X TeX] teTeX (TeXshop) Swedish hyphenation

kjohannisson at mac.com kjohannisson at mac.com
Fri Jul 27 13:33:09 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>I have some trouble when trying to make tetex/texshop (Texshop 1.11,
tetex installed from Gerben Wierda's package) use Swedish hyphenation
patterns in LaTeX documents (together with babel). I managed to
configure an earlier version of tetex/texshop correctly, but I have
forgotten (as always when it comes to configuring TeX) the exact
procedure.

As a first step, I created a directory
~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/ and copied the file language.dat
>from /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ to this new
location. Then, I uncommented the line for swedish hyphenation in my
copy of language.dat.

After this one should, as far as I understand, somehow tell tetex to
create new format (?) files based on my new language.dat file. This is
where my problems start.  The tetex manual states that after changing
language.dat one should run "fmtutil --all". If I do this I get:

***
[localhost:~]% fmtutil --all

! tex.pool doesn't match; tangle me again (or fix the path).
fmtutil: `tex -ini -fmt=tex -progname=tex tex.ini' failed.
***

Errors involving tex.pool seem to be rather serious, according to search
results from comp.text.tex.

The Swedish hyphenation patterns are not used, since when typesetting in
TeXShop I get the following console output:

****
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
(./prova_babel.tex{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/pdftex/config/pdftex.
cfg}
LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1
Babel <v3.6Z> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, n
ohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 1999/09/10 v1.4a Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/swedish.ldf
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/babel/babel.def)

Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
(babel)                the language `Swedish'
(babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0
instead.
***(etc etc)***

If there is there anyone who could explain what is going on, I would be
most obliged!

/ Kristofer Johannisson

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.