[Mac OS X TeX] Mathematica Latex and TeXShop

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Fri Jul 20 16:12:42 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>Folks,

I apologize for the earlier partial messages.

Here's what I did to make TeXShop process tex files output by
Mathematica.
These instructions are for the Mac OS X version of Mathematica, but
probably
work with easier versions.

a) In the Library folder in your home directory, make the following
folders
  if they do not already exist:

	~/Library/texmf/tex/latex
	~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1
	~/Library/texmf/fonts/vf
	~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm

a) Find Mathematica in the /Applications directory. Click on it while
holding down
the control key. A dialog appears allowing you to choose several items.
Choose "Show Package Contents."

b) Inside the resulting folder, go to SystemFiles/IncludeFiles/TeX/texmf.

c) The resulting folder has several subfolders.

	1) In the subfolder "dvips", choose dvips/init and drag a copy of
	the file "wolfram.map" temporarily to the desktop.

	2) In the subfolder "tex", choose /tex/latex. Inside is a folder named
	"wolfram". Drag a copy of this folder to
~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/wolfram

	3) In the subfolder "fonts", choose tfm. Inside is a folder named
	"wolfram". Drag a copy of this folder to
~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/wolfram.

	4) In the subfolder "fonts", choose vf. Inside is a folder named
	"wolfram". Drag a copy of this folder to
~/Library/texmf/fonts/vf/wolfram.

d) Go back to the folder displayed by step a). Inside this folder, go to
	SystemFiles/Fonts. There will be a folder named "Type1" inside.
	Drag a copy of this folder to the desktop, and rename the copy
"wolfram".
	Then drag this folder to ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/wolfram.

e) Finally, there are a couple of nerdy steps. I'll write Gerben Wierda
and see if
teTeX can be preconfigured to avoid these steps. Some of these steps must
be done as root, that is, after typing "sudo tcsh".

	1) Earlier you created "wolfram.map" on the desktop. Move this file to
	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config

	2) Edit the file /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config/updmap.
This file
	contains the following lines

		extra_modules="

		"

	Change this to

		extra_modues="
			wolfram.map
		"

	3) Execute the following lines in Terminal

		sudo tcsh
		cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config
		./updmap

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu

"help" (no quotes) in the body.