[Mac OS X TeX] Fonts, Illustrator and much frustration

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 6 06:32:52 EDT 2001

Gary wrote:

> Note that saving a something as a PDF file out of Illustator does not
> provide a proper bounding box (I think I have seen this discussed
> here before).
>
> So, with all of this in mind, is there a way to add typeset text
> (including mathematics) to figures in Illustrator without having to
> run Textures in Classic?

The best way is to *not* add the typeset mathematics in Illustrator.
Add it afterwards, using TeX (either Textures, pdfTeX or other TeX).

Have a look at these examples that I've just finished working on today:

  http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/WARM/WARMhome/ILLUS902/testimage2.pdf
  http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/WARM/WARMhome/ILLUS902/testimage3.pdf
  http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/WARM/WARMhome/ILLUS902/testimage8.pdf

Each of these has 5 images, as follows:

  The 1st is from an .eps file created in some version of Illustrator
  (some at 6.0, most at 8.0) and some display bad font substitutions.

  The 2nd image is from the same .eps resaved as Illustrator v9.02,
  with the bad labels moved to an invisible layer and extra "marked objects"
  added using a special plug-in.
  It also has the labels reset using TeX, via Xy-pic + extensions.

  The 3rd image shows the "marked-points" which allow this method to work.

  The 4th image shows the same image labelled using different font styles,
  so as to be more suitable for an overhead slide.

  The 5th image is a snapshop of just the graphic, with labels, suitable as a slide
  or to be included within other documents.

The  .tex  sources and .eps (and .pdf) files for all the images
are in the same directory.

Note that this method of labelling graphics avoids all of the known
font problems with Illustrator and Acrobat Reader --- my pdfTeX is patched
to avoid the problem that caused font-substitutions when printing ---
and does *not* require special versions of the CM fonts for Illustrator.

Enjoy,

	Ross Moore

> Best regards,
> --
> Gary L. Gray
> Associate Professor
> Address: Engineering Science and Mechanics
>           The Pennsylvania State University
>           212 Earth & Engineering Sciences Building
>           University Park, PA 16802-6812
>           USA
>    Phone: (814) 863-1778
>      Fax: (814) 863-7967
>   E-mail: <mailto:gray at engr.psu.edu>
>      Web: <http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/>
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.