[Mac OS X TeX] Still having problems with Mathematica and TeXShop

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Jul 26 00:39:19 EDT 2001

> Dick,
>
> Sorry for all the confusion with Mathematica and TeXShop. I have removed
> the teTeX and Ghostscript installed by fink and I have used the "which"
> command to verify that I am using the correct versions of gs, ps2pdf,
> dvips, and latex. I even deleted my TeXShop installations of Ghostscript
> and teTeX and reinstalled using the latest versions from your web page.
> I then followed the instructions from your previous post. The results
> are that dvips still does not find the wolfram type1 fonts. I even tried
> putting a copy of the fonts in
> "/usr/local/teTeX/share/fonts/type1/wolfram". I have tried using latex

Did you rebuild the  kpathsearch  database after adding new files ?
Using a command-line, this requires the  texhash  command,
or  mktexlsr  or  MakeTeXUpdate  or whatever.  (With CMacTeX there is
a menu-option for this; perhaps TeXShop is similar.)

Also, note that  dvips  and  pdftex  may be looking in different places
for .map  files. So you should check whether both

	kpsewhich -progname=dvips wolfram.map
and
	kpsewhich -progname=pdftex wolfram.map

return sensible paths.

If that's OK, then try similar commands for a font file; e.g.

	kpsewhich -progname=pdftex Math1.pfa
	kpsewhich -progname=dvips Math1.pfa

On my setup, the path is:

/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/type1/wolfram/mma/Math1.pfa
                                           ^^^^
Note that there is an extra directory level below  wolfram/
since a font-foundry may make many families of fonts.
For programs that use kpathsea it is very important to have
all the required files at the correct depth within the texmf/ tree.

> from the command-line and I have verified the source of the problem to
> be dvips, which creates a missing font file containing the names of all
> the wolfram type 1 fonts.

This sounds like the .map file is being found, but not the fonts themselves.
I'd guess that the directory level is wrong for dvips , but OK for pdftex .

> I think I am going to give up since the pdflatex option still works, but
> I am a little confused why this is not working for me.

There is probably an inconsistency in the  texmf.cnf file
in the way the search paths are specified for  dvips  and  pdftex .

> Best,

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> -Aaron

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.