[Mac OS X TeX] Fonts, Illustrator and much frustration

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Jul 5 16:18:12 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>It was the worst of times ...

Please read carefully, this gets ugly!

SCENARIO 1
Suppose you do the following:
[1] Take a document and typeset it in TeXShop.
[2] Open the resulting PDF in Illustrator 9.0.2 (in the Classic
Environment). Now, Illustrator will complain that "Missing Type 1
Fonts have been substituted with the default font. Fonts with foreign
encodings have been reencoded."
[3] Looking at the typeset file in Illustrator you will find that
characters are invisible, but can be selected and Illustrator claims
to know what font those invisible characters are.

SCENARIO 2
Suppose you do the following:
[1] Take a document and typeset it in Textures (in the Classic Environment).
[2] Save the typeset output as an Illustrator 88 file.
[2] Open the resulting Illustrator 88 file in Illustrator 9.0.2.
Again, as in SCENARIO 1, Illustrator will complain that "Missing Type
1 Fonts have been substituted with the default font. Fonts with
foreign encodings have been reencoded."
[3] Looking at the typeset file in Illustrator you will find that
characters are invisible, but can be selected and Illustrator claims
to know what font those invisible characters are.

SCENARIO 3
Suppose you do the following:
[1] Install the fonts created Alberto Arabia and provided to me by
George Gratzer. These fonts will be available on my web site
<http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/> some time later today. Note that
SCENARIOS 1 and 2 assume that these fonts are not installed.
[2] Repeat SCENARIO 1. The same characters in Illustrator are still
invisible, but Illustrator no longer complains when opening the file.

SCENARIO 4
[1] Install the fonts provided to me by Alberto Tomba.
[2] Repeat SCENARIO 2 and everything works perfectly, that is, all
the characters are visible and are the correct ones.

SCENARIO 5
[1] Continue SCENARIO 4 by saving the Illustrator 88 file created by
Textures and imported in Illustrator 9.0.2 as an Adobe PDF file.
[2] Open the resulting PDF file in either Preview or Adobe Acrobat
Reader 5.0. All characters will be visible but the same ones that
were invisible in SCENARIO 3 are now incorrect.

The only way that we were able to correctly import a figure with
characters into TeXShop was to EITHER:
[i] Save the file at the end of SCENARIO 4 as an EPS file and typeset
using TeX and Ghostscript;
OR
[ii]  Save the file at the end of SCENARIO 4 as an EPS file, distill
it using Acrobat Distiller, and then typeset using PDFLaTeX.

Note that saving a something as a PDF file out of Illustator does not
provide a proper bounding box (I think I have seen this discussed
here before).

So, with all of this in mind, is there a way to add typeset text
(including mathematics) to figures in Illustrator without having to
run Textures in Classic?

Best regards,
--
Gary L. Gray