[Mac OS X TeX] Textures and Mac OS X - an editorial

Zachary Davis zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu
Fri Jun 1 00:40:08 EDT 2001

<x-flowed windows-1252>Thursday, 31 May 2001

Dr. Gray,

I absolutely agree, I have recently turned to Textures to learn TeX as
well as LaTeX, and have just this past semester become comfortable in
writing TeX and LaTeX documents.  I would much prefer to use a native
TeX/LaTeX setup, rather than Textures in Classic.  However, I am not
sure what all the various programs that all of you are running to do
your TeX/LaTeX writing are actually used for (i.e. TeX Shop, CMacTex,
etc.)  I understand that an editor such as BBedit is required; though
I've never used that before either.

Textures was convenient in that everything seemed bundled together as
far as fonts, various packages, editor, etc.  I also really like the
sychronizing feature of Textures, which allows the user to see the .dvi
output file as you add to your input file.  If anyone has the time, to
explain how I might set up my Ti Book to run TeX/LaTeX natively under OS
X in a manner similar to what I have learned to expect in Textures, I
would be much obliged.  It would be nice to know what TeX Engine I need,
if there are any weird installation procedures, ease of use, editor of
choice, additional fonts I need to install, any packages I need to run
LaTeX, pdf viewers, and whether it is possible to see the output as I
type.

I am saddened to see Blue Sky not carbonizing their software, as I
believe Steve Jobs is correct in saying that early adopters are looking
for native applications to run, not brand loyalty.  I just downloaded
the new version of OmniWeb, and am thoroughly impressed.

Thanks,

Zach Davis

Zachary S. Davis
Department of Aerospace Engineering
University of Texas at Arlington
P.O. Box 19032
Arlington, TX 76019

Home:	(817) 272-6418			zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu
Office:	(817) 272-5269

         “Throughout the centuries there were men who took
          first steps down new roads armed with nothing
          but their own vision.”
                                 -Ayn Rand
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.