[Mac OS X TeX] The texmf tree

Norman Gray norman+lists at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 11:52:26 EDT 2001

Greetings,

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 mclean at physics.queensu.ca wrote:

> Ross Moore's comments in digest 29 on setting up a local texmf tree
were
> very useful. I set up a local texmf tree in my home directory,
>
> ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/misc/
>
> [...]
>
> ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/bibtex/bst/
>
> However, BibTeX did not see the bst file. BibTeX works fine if I have
> the apsrev.bst file

In general, kpsewhich is your friend.  Along with the other TeX
binaries, there should be a kpsewhich program[1].  This is invaluable
for working out the effects of the various settings in the texmf.cnf
file, and in general working out TeX's view of the world.  For example:

    kpsewhich bst plain.bst
    kpsewhich cnf texmf.cnf

finds where plain.bst and texmf.cnf are and, if you have more than one
in your path, which one it'll select.

    kpsepath bst
    kpsewhich --show-path=bst

shows the complete path, taking things like the TEXINPUTS environment
variable into account.  And

    kpsewhich --expand-var=\$TEXMF

will show you the value of TEXMF which results from the settings in the
texmf.cnf file.

All the best,

Norman

[1] This is certainly true of the set of TeX binaries I lifted from
    CTAN:systems/unix/teTeX/1.0/distrib/binaries/powerpc-rhapsody.tar.gz
    based on web2c.  I don't know for certain if other Mac TeX builds
    have it (though since it's a component of the kpathsea library which
    parses the texmf.cnf file, if you have texmf.cnf, I'd guess you have
    kpsewhich), but they certainly ought to, since it's so useful.

Norman Gray                        http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/
Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK     norman at astro.gla.ac.uk

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.