[Mac OS X TeX] wish for TeXShop: rulers in preview

Troy Goodson Troy.D.Goodson at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 15 10:26:21 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>At 9:10 AM -0400 6/15/01, William Adams wrote:
>Troy Goodson asked:
>>  I'm looking at a preview of PDF in TeXShop, wondering if the
>  > right-hand side of a certain table is within the right-hand margin of
>>  the page...  I can understand that it might be difficult for TeXShop
>>  to look inside my .tex file and figure out my margins, but if it
>>  could just display horizontal and vertical rulers, I'd be pretty
>>  happy.
>
>NO!
>
>This is an excellent example of how one should choose to extend the
>environment as a whole, instead of making an individual program more
>complex than it needs to be.
>
>There were a number of ruler programs for NeXT/OPENstep, and it's to be
>hoped that someone will port one or more of these to Mac OS X---once
>ported, it would then be available for use in _any_ Mac OS X program.

thanks for setting me straight, William.  Not coming from NeXT, the
solution I usually see first is to add to an individual application.
It never even occurred to me that this could be solved with a ruler
service.

Do you recall the names of any of these ruler programs? a URL or two?
I'd like to see what NeXT has had.

Troy.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.