[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #31 - 06/11/01

Charles Bouldin charles.bouldin at nist.gov
Mon Jun 11 20:48:27 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>>Subject: Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #30 - 06/06/01
>From: "Jenny Harrison" <harrison at math.berkeley.edu>
>Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:08:43 -0700
>
>I am still looking for a tex editing program with collapsing
>outlines,  synchronicity, and flash. These are my "must-haves".  I am
>now convinced one program does not yet exist.  But it should.  Once
>you have got used to these features, they are all hard to do without.
>Collapsing outlines are especially valuable when you are composing a
>long, complex document.    The end result is a linear progression of
>symbols, but the thought

I agree, no such tex editing system exists, although pieces of it do.
Textures has synchronicity and flash, and (under MacOS 9) you can
couple it to BBEdit. The collapsing outlines are called "text
folding" in Qued/M. I've been suggesting that Bare Bones add this to
BBedit for some years, but the amount of work is substantial and they
haven't done it. Perhaps if they heard from several people on this
list?

On the subject of editors, I use the full version of BBEdit on OS X,
so I haven't looked at the new 6.1 BBEdit Lite on X...does it support
TeX syntax colorization? If so, that would seem to me to solve the
issue of a good and free editor to use with any TeX implementation on
OS X. (Unless I hear a rebuttal from the alpha cabal?)

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.