[Mac OS X TeX] TeXShop text ?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Jun 3 21:14:10 EDT 2001

Hi Michael,

> I'm not sure if I've posted the first of these questions before.
>
> If I open a TeXShop file in BBEdit it has lots of little
> rectangles. Is this some problem with UNIX versus mac line feeds?
>
> Tonight
> I ftped a lot of TeXShop files to my web server - I think they went as binary
> I used Interarchy. Then I tested one on the UNIX machine the students

Why did they go as binary ?
You can use a menu option to alter the transfer mode in Interarchy to any of:
  1. text   2. binary   3. automatic

With 3. it looks up a list of file types to help decide which to use.
Sometimes the defaults for some file-types can be wrong or missing.
e.g. it tries to send PDFs as text, but these should always be
sent using 'binary', else Acrobat Reader won't show anything.

> use - none of them will run as the spurious characters are
> still there.

I presume these TeXShop files are TeX sources; so these should always
be transferred as text.
I'd guess that Interarchy doesn't recognise them as 'TEXT' so chooses
to use 'binary', which will preserve Mac line-endings.
With 'text' the line-endings should get converted in the transfer.

> The only solution I could find was to cut  from the TeXShop file
> paste into BBEdit and then save that.  Then I ftped that onto
> the UNIX machine and it was fine.
>
> Anyone got a better solution or an explanation of why this occurs ?

What happens if you force the ftp transfer to be 'text' ?

Cheers,

	Ross

> Thanks - Michael
> --
> Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
> Department of Pure Mathematics       Fax: 61+ 8 8303 3696
> University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
> Australia  5005      Email: mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
> Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
> PGP public key:
> http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.