[Mac OS X TeX] TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=64720]

Hemant Bhargava hkb at mac.com
Sun Nov 11 18:28:02 EST 2001

<x-flowed>I'd like to follow up on this. I've seen the poolsize error in documents
where I'm using

- seminar package
- hyperref package
- pdflatex rather than Tex+Ghostscript

Not knowing any better, I edited texmf.cnf (after getting permission
>from Gerben :-)
and modified the setting
pool_size = 125000
to 500000

Lo and behold! the error message is gone.

Yet I'm willing to admit there's something wrong in my code (it works
perfectly under OzTeX, though) - but what?

- Hemant Bhargava

On Sunday, November 11, 2001, at 03:03 PM, John Burt wrote:

> Usually when you get this error it isn't because the memory capacity is
> too small. In the days when TeX came in "small" and "big" sizes, this
> sometimes happened, but I think just about everything is "bigTeX" now.
> The capacity exceeded error is usually the result of something in your
> own
> TeX code, not a result of the limitation of the capacity of TeX.
> Changing
> the memory capacity won't fix the problem because the memory problem in
> your code will eat up as much memory as you have.
> John
>  On
> Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Alan Curtis wrote:
>
>> I got this error when running TeXShop with the MarSlide package
>> (after seeing a recommendation here).
>>
>> TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=64720]
>>
>> I read the teTeX-FAQ and believe I need to edit the texmf.cnf file
>> and run texconfig init.
>>
>> There is no line in texmf.cnf that has 'pool' in it so I added one at
>> the end
>>
>> pool = 70000
>>
>> and ran texconfig init but nothing changed.
>>
>> I am not sure I edited the right texmf.cnf or added the right line or
>> even know what I am doing at all.
>>
>> Any hints would be appreciated.

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.