[Mac OS X TeX] How fast is TeX on Mac OS X 10.1?

David Wagner wagner at math.uh.edu
Mon Oct 1 14:00:07 EDT 2001

One thing that I have learned about the speed of TeX processing on Mac OS X
is that processing is slowed down a lot by the cpu time devoted to
displaying messages on the screen.  If you run tex in Terminal, for example,
the elapsed time from start to finish depends strongly on the size of the
Terminal.

I am working on a 43 page paper in amsart.cls.  The cputime actually
consumed by tex to run latex on this file is a little less than 2 seconds on
my 400 MHz Pismo laptop.  If I run this in a big Terminal then the elapsed
time is about 5.46 seconds.  If I run it in a very small Terminal the
elapsed time is about 3.3 seconds.

This is with my Terminal set with a green, partially transparent background,
which could increase the time consumed by Terminal.

I am still using Mac OS X 10.04.

David Wagner

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.