[Mac OS X TeX] Switching to TeXShop

Hemant K. Bhargava hkb at mac.com
Thu Oct 11 18:27:20 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>Hi -

I'm an Alpha-OzTeX user, have installed TeXShop/teTeX, and am considering
switching (or at least trying it out). I've begun trying it out, but have
some concerns, and I'd like to know if there are easy (easy enough)
solutions.

1. Ease in customizing and extending installation.

Mainly an issue with Packages: In my OzTeX installation, I've added several
packages (most frequently used ones being:
	color, harvard, hyperref, psfrag, seminar, shading, XYpic

I keep all the package files in a separate area, and declare the path to
OzTeX. (I want to keep them separate from the base installation; that way
moving to a new machine, or a new version of the program, is easy.) What is
the analog in TeXShop?

(I think many of these packages are already in the teTeX base installation,
but then there will always be many more available outside. )

2. Maintaining user files and avoiding redundancy

a. I have many file types that have "multiple use" e.g., my .bib files,
.eps files, are used in multiple documents. So I store them in a separate
area (so I have only one instance of each), rather than adjacent to the
associated .tex files.

In OzTeX I know how to set paths and tell OzTeX to look for the files ...
is there a similar command for TeXshop/teTeX?

b. A similar thing occurs for many macro definition files, and I put these
in a separate area. Same question as (a)

3. Generating PDF with *automatic-link generation*

I use the hyperref package, and the resulting PDF file has hyperlinks
corresponding to all the internal LaTeX cross-references. I can add
additional links via hyperef's commands.

In TeXshop, I notice that my PDF file does not have hyperlinks.

Any thoughts on these issues?

Thanks in advance.

- Hemant

"help" (no quotes) in the body.