[Mac OS X TeX] OffTopic - Telnet / remote login in X.1

David Wagner wagner at math.uh.edu
Thu Oct 4 17:48:09 EDT 2001

> 1. I was getting set up to install TeXShop - right after I had upgraded to
> OSX.1. However, now I can no longer telnet into my Mac from a remote
> machine -- I keep getting a "connection refused" message. I have verified,
> of course, that I have the correct privileges set up to allow remote login.

You should not use telnet because it sends the user name and password in the
clear--someone with a network sniffer could pick these up and get access to
any machine on which this user name and password are valid.

Use ssh instead.  Also learn to use scp instead of ftp.

David wagner

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.