[Mac OS X TeX] TeXShop and tex/gs (again)

Arun Mangalam arun_mangalam at mac.com
Sat Sep 29 12:56:37 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>Hello Gerben,

The problem is exhibited whether you use Fink or the TeXInstaller with
TeXShop [or any MacOSX application that uses shell scripts]. What
happens is that variables are not expanded or mangled up when scripts
try to run. There are two solutions to this:

1. Let the User read Apple's new documentation on Environment Variables
to set paths and environmental vars as one would with .[t]cshrc files.
	http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html
2. Have the application be aware of the paths directly (either by static
or dynamic code).

This is at least what I have observed.

The following is an e-mail from Richard Koch giving specific
instructions to set paths:

> Following your advice, I managed to get environmental variables
> recognized
> in TeXShop. Here's what I did.
>
> a) I created a hidden directory in my home directory named
>
> 	.OpenStep
>
> b) I placed the file included below, environment, in this directory.
> This file sets the
> variable TEXINPUTS to
>
> 	:.:~/TeX
>
> (The leading ":" is very important; without it tetex cannot
> find system files. You will want to edit "environment" to change ~/TeX
> what you want.)
>
> c) I logged out and back in. This step is necessary whenever the
> "environment" file
> is changed.
>
> After that, TeXShop could find include files in ~/TeX.
>
> According to the developer note, the hidden directory is .OpenStep in
> 10.0.4, but will be .MacOSX in 10.1.

I haven't yet tried it out, but I will really soon when I finish with my
research. :)

- Arun

On Saturday, September 29, 2001, at 06:05  AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
> Question: do people who have installed TeX from the TeXSGInstaller
> (from the TeXShop page or from frp.nluug.nl) experience this problem? I
> suspect not.
>
> The answer to this question is a) that this is nota  bug in TeXShop and
> b) that it has to do with paths. The TeXGSInstaller adds binary and
> manpath settings to the tcsh global initialization. Since this is the
> login shell for users (unless they have changed this to something like
> bash, but in that case they should know that they have to move settings
> over as well), the correct paths are available for all applications,
> cli or gui.
>
> I think something like this might happen if you use fink to install TeX
> (since it has some specific ideas about paths and such).
>
> Gerben

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.