[Mac OS X TeX] labelling graphics using TeXShop/Illustrator

Hemant Bhargava hkb at mac.com
Sat Sep 29 19:02:43 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>Gary -

My current TeX system relies SOOO much on your LaTeX/Mac pages at PSU. So
it  makes me more than happy to return some help. Let me know if I can help
with any of the details.

I use Alpha-OzTeX, create .eps files anywhere, use psfrag to substitute
complex LaTeX labels, then run OzTeX's dvips, then distill the file to get
my .pdf. As someone else mentioned psfrag has features for label alignment,
rotation etc.

The only thing I haven't quite figured out here is where to place the
psfrag.pro file. In general, I'm able to place all package files in
separate areas from the base OzTeX installation, but in this case nothing
has worked, and I'm forced to put the psfrag.pro as follows:

OzTeX/TeX/dvips/inputs/psfrag.pro

Anyone have advice on this issue?

- Hemant

Hemant K. Bhargava, Penn State University           (Tel: 814-865-6253)
Professor, Management Science and Information Systems
http://www.smeal.psu.edu/~bhargava/General/contact.html

--On Saturday, September 29, 2001 10:23 -0400 "Gary L. Gray"
<gray at engr.psu.edu> wrote:

> On 9/29/01 at 8:10 AM -0400, Hemant Bhargava wrote:
>
>> I use psfrag too -- haven't come across anything I couldn't do with
>> it. (psfrag allows you to replace "labels" in the graphics file with
>> arbitrary LaTeX commands.) And the beauty of it is that you are in
>> LaTeX all the time.
>
> It sounds like it is worth looking at -- where can we find psfrag? How
> portable is it? That is, if I send the figure to a publisher, I assume
> that the fonts will not be in the figure itself. Portability is rather
> important for us since we need to be able to exchange figures in
> manuscripts with a number of people.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
>     Gary L. Gray
>     Associate Professor
>     Engineering Science & Mechanics
>     Penn State University
>     (814) 863-1778
>     http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.