[Mac OS X TeX] OS X a nightmare?

Mark Smith markds at mac.com
Sat Sep 15 04:42:33 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>>> I apologize for sending a generic OS X message to this group, but rest
>> assured I'm a devout TeX and Mac user and my motivation is at
>> least in part
>> related to (my dilemma of whether to switch to) OSX-TeX. I'm
>> presently very
>> happy with my OS9-Alpha-OzTeX combination, and am
>> wondering if cMacTeX on OSX is far superior, so much better that
>> it would
>> overcome the negatives discussed below.
>>
>> (Assumption here: cMacTeX is the only TeX available on OS X. correct?)

Nope, there are also TeXShop and OzTeX.

(As for your problems with OS X, its a lot faster on a G4 with lots
of RAM than it is on e.g. an iMac or an iBook with less than
256MB - but OK still not as fast as it should be. By all accounts
10.1 fixes this. Stick with it and experiment, you will find that
one can indeed work very elegantly (albeit differently) in X - you
know - think different and all that. A couple of carefully chosen
utilities will really improve things. Suggest "Launchbar" and
"Space" for general workspace enhancement, "Get Info" or "Super Get
Info" and a combination of "Pseudo" and "RBrowser" (care required
here) for file manipulations which are not so easy in the Finder
and finally "TinkerTool" for a bit more customization power.

Back to TeX though, I would give TeXShop a spin, I find TeXShop and
Pepper a good combination. There's also a rather interesting app in
development called ScientificAssistant.

Can supply URLs for all if required but they can all be found on
Versiontracker and Softrack.

cheers,
mark.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.