[OS X TeX] Re: warmreader

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Apr 25 11:12:49 EDT 2002

On 4/25/02 10:02 AM, "Holger Frauenrath" <mail at frauenrath.com> wrote:

> I have seen "WarmReader" mentioned a couple of times on this list. I am
> sorry for the ignorant question: what is it and where can I find out more
> about it?

It is very nice little package that allows one to label pictures in LaTeX.
We use it with Adobe Illustrator and the MarkedObjects plug-in for
Illustrator. The nice thing about it is that it does not depend on
Illustrator recognizing TeX fonts since the labels are placed on the image
after Illustrator is done messing with the image.

Francesco Costanzo and I have created an AppleScript Studio application that
speeds up the process and also makes it so that you end up with figures that
are portable (i.e., you end up with an .eps figure and a .pdf figure of your
labeled image that can be included in latex or pdflatex, respectively). For
us, the process basically consists of:

[1] Draw your figure in Illustrator (or import it from Mathematica, Matlab,
etc.).

[2] Label it using the MarkedObjects Illustrator plug-in.

[3] Drop the resulting Illustrator .eps file onto our app. This will create
a .tex file that you then typeset using LaTeX (we use TeXShop). Tell TeXShop
to save the .ps file in its prefs.

[4] Drop the .ps file onto our app and you will end up with the final
labeled .eps and .pdf files.

We have a tutorial we have written describing this process if anyone is
interested. Keep in mind that it was written for our students, so it is not
meant to be a complete tutorial with every detail.

It is very easy and the results have been fantastic.

Best regards,

-- Gary L. Gray

"help" (no quotes) in the body.