[OS X TeX] [ANN] New release of LaTeX enhanced mac-emacs
franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Apr 9 11:10:00 EDT 2002
I've just uploaded the new release 1.4 of the LeTeX enhanced
mac-emacs. It is now more seriously packaged, and it is more
integrated with both tetex and emacs applications (like MacDvi,
MacGhostView, Acrobat Reader, TexShop, OzTeX, etc). You can see it as
a complete front-end to tetex.
CHANGES since 1.3
- New versions of latex packages
- New installer
- Added documentation
- Reconfigured LaTeX menus
- Universal version of site-lisp files
- Emacs bundle can be launched alone
- Added the srcltx option to work with MacDviX (click-and-go)
- Hopefully more robust to find tetex and gs binaries
If you downloaded any previous version you are invited to download
this new version.
Get it from http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/mac-emacs/
This mac-emacs is based on the carbon mac-emacs-21.1 distribution (for
MacOSX) (mac-emacs.sourceforge.net), enhanced with fully customisable
LaTeX editing environment based on AucTeX, RefTeX and other packages.
There is no need to have X11 installed. From mac-emacs, you can
launch directly any latex process or any mac application (like MacDvi,
MacGhostView, Acrobat Reader, TexShop, OzTeX, etc) on files or regions
you are working on. LaTeX menus are fully customisable.
- The mac-emacs application can be double-clicked and accepts files
drag-and-dropped onto it; the Emacs bundle does not accept
- The mac-emacs application can be moved anywhere; the Emacs bundle
can not be moved from the /Applications folder.
- No X11 is required.
- mac-emacs requires a working installation of teTeX and ghostview.
- mac-emacs loads automatically the file ~/.mac-emacs if it exists.
An example .mac-emacs file (mirroring the default values) can be
found in the doc/ folder as dot-mac-emacs. You can fully customise
the Command menu and the launched applications. You can select the
preview method from the Prefs menu.
- By latexing with the srcltx option checked from the Prefs menu, and
previewing with MacDviX (or other srcltx aware previewers), the
previewer can automatically invoke mac-emacs at the clicked position
- To have full multi-lingual latex-aware spelling checking
capabilities, just install "ispell" from fink. By now, fink provides
automatic installation of American, British, French, Italian and
German dictionaries; other languages should be installed by hand.
- The creator code of the mac-emacs application is EMAy. It is
possible to set any .tex or .bib to open automatically (by
double-clicking) in mac-emacs by selecting the mac-emacs application
from the 'Open with application' menu of the finder Info of any
.tex/.bib file, and then "Change all'.
- BUGS (from the original Emacs distribution): this port of Emacs does
not support 3 buttons mice; customisation browsing still does not
work; ange-ftp does not work always.
- It is still possible to use the middle button of a mouse as the
paste button with USB Overdrive, by creating a new set for the Emacs
bundle (not the mac-emacs application) and assigning to the middle
button the 'control-y' keystroke.
- ADVANCED USERS: the site-lisp directory contains all the files
necessary to recreate a LaTeX enhanced emacs; it has been
successfully tested with emacs 20.7, 21.1, 21.2 on both Darwin (with
X11 or Carbon) and Linux (with X11) boxes. I usually maintain a
unique site-lisp directory in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp and
then I link the site-lisp directories of the various emacs to it. In
the file site-load-core.el you can find also instruction to create a
dumped image with most of the packages preloaded.
Enrico Franconi - franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
University of Manchester - http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/
Department of Computer Science - Phone: +44 (161) 275 6170
Manchester M13 9PL, UK - Fax: +44 (161) 275 6204
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <info at email.esm.psu.edu> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <info at email.esm.psu.edu> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
More information about the MacOSX-TeX