[OS X TeX] Mac OS X 10.2 and my TeX installers

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Fri Aug 16 19:00:28 EDT 2002

On Friday, August 16, 2002, at 02:53 , Ullrich Steiner wrote:

> Here is the contents of the readme file that is supposed to be at
> /usr/share/tcsh/examples:
>
> This directory contains some useful tcsh files.
>
> In order to use this configuration:
>
> 	echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/rc"     > ~/.tcshrc
> 	echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/login"  > ~/.login
> 	echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/logout" > ~/.logout

OK, here is the beginning of my nightmare and a possible reason why I
may have to stop supporting command line use of my TeX environment. With
the loss of reasonable default generic settings and many people starting
to use personal settings, there will be too many different solutions
around for me to support. I will have to try to find out environment
stuff from everyone contacting me with a problem. I do not have time for
that.

As I have found out, Apple has valid technical reasons for these changes
(I will not go into details because I do not know if this is public
knowledge (darwin-os etc)) and Apple might even bring some sort of
original solution back later (I hope, but it is probably too late to
prevent the mess).

Anyway, I have created a stop-gap measure. I have adapted the
tcsh-setting script that is part of my distribution. As it is now, it
will work both on 10.1.5 and 10.2 if you have my distribution installed.
It will remove the settings from /usr/share/init/tcsh and add a new
setting to /etc/csh.login which exists on both systems.

NB. Use at your own risk. This has been written while late at night and
has not been extensively tested. It works on my system running 10.1.5.

Download the script from ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/macosx/settcshtexpath

Then in a Terminal window, cd to the directory where you have downloaded
the script. Type

	sudo cp ./settcshtexpath
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
	sudo chmod +x /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-
current/settcshtexpath
	sudo /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/settcshtexpath

Now, restart Terminal and TeX will be available from the command line.

The script adds the TeX binary path and /usr/local/bin to your login
PATH (not for root for security reasons) setting. It will remove
previous TeX settings by me from a /usr/share/init/tcsh/login (if
available, only on10.1)

Note: I do not know if this fixes tcsh problems in iTeXMac (probably
not).

If you reinstall TeX, you might have to install this fix again, because
I will not be upgrading TeX again (barring emergencies) until
i-Installer v2 is ready.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.