[OS X TeX] landscape escapes me

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Aug 20 05:11:19 EDT 2002

> i want to start by thanking everyone who has contributed to this list, i
> have been listening in the shadows for some time now, and learned a lot
> from the discussion.
>
> but i must have missed it if you ever wrote about this issue, which i am
> facing now. it is not exactly a mac os x issue but more a problem
> concerning the difference between latex and pdflatex:
>
> i am trying to create a document in landscape (with text in two columns)
> using pdflatex (and texshop or oztex). as i mostly suspected, just writing
>
> 	\documentclass[12pt,landscape]{article}

Every document using pdflatex should start also with

    \usepackage{hyperref}

for it is in here that there are oodles of patches to standard LaTeX
commands, so as to implement hypertext features;
e.g. for cross-references, tables-of-contents, citations, etc.

Alternatively, load:   \usepackage{html}
(which automatically loads  hyperref  when pdftex is the driver)
with documents that you also want for HTML pages created by LaTeX2HTML.

> in the preamble didn't do the trick. i remember over a year ago, i was
> trying to do the same  formatting on a linux machine and that never worked
> until someone told me that i had make the final postscript file landscape
> with a dvips option. now, with pdflatex and no dvips in the way, how is the
> same effect achieved?

You could set \pdfpageheight and \pdfpagewidth  directly,
but loading  hyperref  will do this for you.

> please bear in mind my level; i've used latex quite a bit, but usually on
> university computers  that were maintained and supported by a slew of
> professionals! it is only recently (with the advent of mac os x) that i
> find myself maintaining the distribution on my own machine.
>
> btw, does anyone have a simple explanation for me why when i typeset a file
> in oztex and view the dvi there, it looks much better (text is less jagged)
>   than if i typeset the same file in texshop and view it (pdf, i guess?)
> there? have i set up something wrong?

The fonts are probably bitmap fonts, which (quite inexplicably)
are handled badly by Acrobat Reader.

Hopefully that will change in the future; but there are no known
time-lines for this.

> any help appreciated.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore