[OS X TeX] MathTimes-Textures to Mac OS X?

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Fri Aug 9 04:02:48 EDT 2002

Le jeudi 8 août 2002, à 11:30 , Themis Matsoukas a écrit :

> I have recently switched from Textures (I can't stand Classic) to
> TeXShop. I have the MathTimes fonts for Textures. Is there a way to
> convert these fonts for use in OS X?  If so, how do I do that? If not,
> how do I get MathTimes for OS X?

Step 1: Convert the fonts to PFB format

- Get Tom Kiffe's CMacTeX_OSX from
<http://www.kiffe.com/tex/carbon.html>.

- Open the script "lwfn2pfb script txt" and save it as an application.

- Drop your OS 9 font files MTEX, MTSY and RMTMI onto the application.

- Move the generated files mtex.pfb, mtsy.pfb and rmtmi.pfb to
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/yandy/mathtime.

Step 2: Get support files for this MathTime Basic font set

- teTeX/TeXShop is set up to use MathTime Complete fonts = MathTime
Basic + MathTime Plus. Unfortunately, Blue Sky Research ships only the
MathTime Basic fonts for Textures. Thus you have to recreate teTeX
support files for MathTime Basic fonts only; otherwise you will get many
error messages about missing font files.

- Download the original mathtime directory from CTAN at
<ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-
archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/psnfssx/mathtime>.

- Open mathtime.ins in TeXShop and uncomment the line:

%\def\mtplus{}

then LaTeX it.

- Move the generated files to
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/mathtime:

mathpi.sty
mathtime.sty
my1mtt.fd
my2mtt.fd
my3mtt.fd
omslby.fd
umh2.fd
umh2scr.fd
umh6.fd
umtms.fd

- You may want to keep documentation files in
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/doc/latex/mathtime:

mathtime.dtx
mathtime.txt

(the doc file is mathtime.dtx, just LaTeX it).

Step 3: Tell teTeX the files are there

- Launch Terminal and enter "sudo texhash".

Step 4: For the hedonist

- In case you're interested by more sophisticated features (like bold
math italic, upright math, heavy math, upright Greek), you can purchase
MathTime Plus fonts directly from Y&Y at
<http://www.yandy.com/mathtime.htm> (I haven't, someday I will). Ask
them for the fonts in PFB format, not Mac format (unless you want to be
able to use the fonts with Textures; then you'll have to convert them
again to PFB, as before).

- If you do that, then you can delete all the files and folders created
in Step 2 above.

That's it, I think.

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.