[Mac OS X TeX] TeXLive-teTeX.dmg released

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Thu Jan 24 18:23:43 EST 2002

A new dmg has been released.

Two changes with respect to the previous one:
Programs:
- dvips has been downgraded to 5.86d (from 5.86e) because of the bug
with including eps files by dvips. I have reported the problem to the
dvips maintainers. If there are problems with dvips-5.86d which dvips
5.86e solves, it is available as well as dvips-5.86e. But 5.86d is the
default. (Note that for most users pdfTeX is still the best solution,
using dvips and ghostscript remains a legacy solution). This fix has
been tested.
texmf tree:
- marvosym font support has been improved (thanks to Bruno Voisin). This
fix has not been tested.

What I did not make clear before, is that I have moved to TeXLive as my
source for the programs. There is very little difference between recent
teTeX beta and TeXLive as teTeX draws from TeXLive. So, my distribution
now draws directly from TeXLive for the programs and uses the latest
teTeX-texmf distribution as a basis for the texmf tree. TeXLive and
teTeX-beta are somewhat less stable than stable-teTeX, but stable-teTeX
is very out of date. So far, experience has shown that there are not
very many problems with TeXLive.

To reflect that, the name of the dmg has changed to TeXLive-teTeX.dmg. I
will keep /usr/local/teTeX as the location as long as I use teTeX partly
as a basis.

The new (and suggested) dmg can be downloaded from
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/tex-gs/TeXLive-teTeX.dmg

The last pre-teTeX-beta pre-TeXLive distribution can still be downloaded
as ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/tex-gs/teTeX.dmg.

Note that in the event you want to downgrade, downgrading should be done
by first removing the new TeX (the new installer can do that) and then
installing the older one. Otherwise you might end up with still calling
the newer binaries.

PS. I will be away for 5 days, so if there are any new problems, I will
be able to look at them starting next Tuesday.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.