[Mac OS X TeX] Figure sizing in TeXShop

Dr. Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Tue Jan 29 02:57:58 EST 2002

On 2002.01.29, at 11:51, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
>> I have a basic question (is there a FAQ for this list somewhere?) about
>> importing figures from Illustrator.  After generating the figures and
>
> Very timely...
>
>> saving them as pdf when I include them in a LaTeX document the borders
>> are set for what appears to be the page size.  I use to fix this in
>
> This happens upon "Save as PDF" from Illustrator 9 and 10.
>
>> Illustrator 9 by redefining the page size to the size of the figure (or
>> slightly larger) and this worked fine.  In Illustrator X (the Japanese
>> version just came out a couple of weeks ago) this fix no longer seems
>> work.  How can I get the figures to include correctly in TeXShop
>> (LaTeX)
>> without inappropriate white space?
>
> 2 ways, that I know of:
>
>  1.  convert the .eps to PDF using some other program; e.g.
>
>    Acrobat Distiller  -- this gets it "right"
> or
>    Ghostscript (e.g. via ps2pdf, epstopdf, or other script)

  I tried this -- doesn't work with X in my limited trials (this is with
ps2pdf).  I thought I remembered eps2pdf fixing this problem, but it
doesn't seem to be distributed with teTeX anymore.  I would be grateful
if someone could state which version of eps2pdf would work and what
distribution to use.

>  2. open the bad PDF with Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader)
>     go to the  Document:Crop Pages..  menu option
>     check  "Remove White Margins"
>     then click "OK"
>     now save the modified PDF, it will have the correct size.

I thought of this and tried it.  It certainly looks fine in Acrobat, but
when I attempted to import the file back into Illustrator for some
touchup, the line sizes where all incorrect.  It appears that the
decimal point was lost - so that 1.5 pt lines became 15 pt.

  I was hoping the trim option in includegraphics of pdftex would do the
trick, but it doesn't seem to be able to handle the large trim that is
necessary.

> (Thanks to Hans Hagen for this tip.)
>

> Doubtless there are other methods as well.
>
> It may even be possible to hand-edit the /MediaBox
> in the PDF to match the  %%BoundingBox of the .eps
>  **provided** you keep the total number of characters the same.
>  --- I don't recommend trying this. :-)
>

>> ...   By the way -- whose bug is this -
>> Adobe or pdftex?
>
> It is Adobe's bug.
> (We told them about it 2 weeks ago, along with several other bugs.)
>
> The following is a prototype for a site being setup for recording bugs
> in Adobe software that affect TeX users:
>
>    http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~ross/Adobe/AdobeBugs/
>
> Contributions are sought.
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> 	Ross Moore
>   \\

Thanks for the help.  I wish it were as easy as it appears (at first) to
be.  eps figures are actually easier to use for this reason.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.