[Mac OS X TeX] Euros in TeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Jan 3 04:35:28 EST 2002

> > This is reported to work fine in plain TeX:
> >
> > \def\euro{\sf C\hspace{-1.6ex}\rule[2pt]{1.3ex}{.5pt}\hspace
> > {-1.3ex}\rule[4pt]{1.3ex}{.5pt}}

> Hmm, are you sure this is plain TeX?

No; it isn't Plain at all.

It's Plain TeX \def syntax, but using macros defined elsewhere in LaTeX.
Even \rule is a LaTeX command, with 3 arguments (1 optional).

Anyhow, it would be *much* better defined (in LaTeX) as:

\DeclareRobustCommand{\euro}{{\textsf{C}\hspace{-1.6ex}%
 \rule[2pt]{1.3ex}{.5pt}\hspace{-1.3ex}\rule[4pt]{1.3ex}{.5pt}}}

Better still is to use a special font for the symbol.
Adobe has a free font that contains *only* the euro symbol,
in every character position. It's called EuroFont -- imaginatively! :)

Search on  http://ctan.tug.org/search/
and you should find at least two other TeX implementations of fonts
with the euro symbol, in various styles.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> What is \sf?
>
> And \hspace?
>

> I apologize if these are silly questions...
>
> ßlue

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.