[OS X TeX] BibTeX Can't Find Style that pdfTeX can

Jeff Collins vze22kt4 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 12 12:39:13 EDT 2002

Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:48:15 +0200:

>> I can get BibTeX to work by placing apacite.bst in the folder containing
>> prospectus2.tex, but this seems like a kludge.
>>
>> Is there something special I need to do to tell BibTeX where to look for
>> packages?  (I had assumed that if pdfTeX could find the files after a
>> 'sudo texhash', then bibtex could find them too).
>
>The correct directory for bst files is texmf/bibtex/bst/

Thank you (and also Martin) for the info. I didn't read as carefully as I
should've the note at <http://www.rna.nl/tex.html>, which reads: "It is
not necessary to replicate the directory nesting as deep as in this
example. For .tex and .sty files and their like, using ~/Library/texmf/
tex is normally enough depth. For font stuff, use ~/Library/texmf/fonts.
Whatever you do below those levels is your choice and thus a matter of
taste, it will not influence TeX's ability to find files."

Because I can't stand the thought of manually pulling out the .sty and
.bst files from each package folder I use, I created a symbolic link in
my ~/Library/texmf/ directory that's called 'bibtex' and points to ~/
Library/texmf/tex/  (I used the command 'ln -s tex bibtex').

This works fine (after a 'sudo texhash') and BibTeX is now happily
finding the files it needs. Thanks again, all.

cheers,
Jeff

"help" (no quotes) in the body.