SOLVED: [OS X TeX] Mathematica e TeXShop

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Thu Jun 27 01:38:25 EDT 2002

On Thursday, June 27, 2002, at 01:18 , Ross Moore wrote:

> Now to unpack directly into  texmf.local  one could do the following
> (as root, or via sudo):
>
> rm texmf
> ln -s texmf.local texmf
> tar -xf <archive>
> rm texmf
> ln -s texmf.teTeX texmf
> texhash

tar will overwrite the symbolic link, you need gnutar, which is only
available on developer systems. So it should be:

rm texmf
mv texmf.local texmf
tar -xf <archive>
mv texmf texmf.local
ln -s texmf.teTeX texmf
texhash

but the question arrive, when you are doing this mv stuff, why do I need
to change anyway? What about:

mv texmf texmf.org
mv texmf.local texmf
tar -xf <archive>
mv texmf texmf.local
mv texmf.org texmf
texhash

Your other solution does not work too, since tar overwrites the symbolic
link with a directory.

I will thing about this some more. Maybe I'll make the install of the
texmf tree non-destructive. Or when i-Installer has become a bit more
interactive, I could give the user a choice (best).

"help" (no quotes) in the body.