[OS X TeX] French

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Mar 29 20:42:15 EST 2002

> Are you sure you are in the right directory? You want to create a
> directory structure inside your home folder (not the Library folder on
> the Hard Drive).
>
> ~/Library/texmf/tex/
>
> You can modify this one, but not
>
> /Library/texmf/tex/

Yes; but be careful of the number of subdirectories.

You probably should be putting the package files into a
subdirectory named:

~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/french
                    ^^^^^
if it is a package that works only with LaTeX;
or one named:

~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/french
                    ^^^^^^^
if the package works with general TeX formats, not just LaTeX.

This extra level of directories is needed for the  kpathsea
mechanism to find the style files (and other inputs) when
texmf.cnf  is setup in its default way to make best use
of the  ls-R  database files.

You should only add a directory such as:

 ~/Library/texmf/tex/french/

for a general system that is independent of LaTeX, or
requires a lot of special support files.
In this case, there should also be entries in  texmf.cnf
that will allow the files to be found when needed.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> Adrian Heathcote
>

> On Saturday, March 30, 2002, at 01:13 AM, Jerome Dubois wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can't do that, my computer said me that I can't modify the folder
> > texmf/tex !! How can I proceed please ?
> >
> > Jerome
> >
> > Le vendredi 29 mars 2002, _ 11:10 , Gerben Wierda a _crit :
> >
> > On Friday, March 29, 2002, at 10:25 , Jerome Dubois wrote:
> >
> > I have a little problem, I want to install FRENCH (by B. Gaulle) to
> > write TeX in French with teTeX and my favorite TeXShop, but I don't
> > know where i must place the French Folder. Is somebody can help me
> > please ?
> >
> > try creating a folder *inside* ~/Library/texmf/tex/

> > "help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.