[OS X TeX] I need some info

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Mar 6 17:05:24 EST 2002

> Can someone give me an example of a viewer (e.g. on Windows) that
> directly displays DVI without moving through an intermediate format
> (like PostScript)? I am writing the (extended) help info for my new
> distribution packages.

Any DVI viewer does this;  e.g.  dviwin.exe ,
 xdvi  or  xdvik  under Unix or Windows
 and whatever viewer came with TeX applications before pdfTeX
 was developed.

On pre-OS X Macs, this includes OzTeX, Textures and CMacTeX.

Under Unix and windows, some of these viewers can send PostScript
or .eps files to Ghostscript, to handle drawing inside a specified
region. The viewers themselves do not interpret the PostScript code.

(Note that  gsview  is quite special in first requiring the .dvi to
have been converted to PostScript.
The reason for this is that full PostScript interpreters have always
been very expensive; either to build, or to license from Adobe.)

Hope this helps,

	Ross

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.