[OS X TeX] Equation Service

Doug Rowland rowland at belka.space.umn.edu
Thu Mar 21 13:59:38 EST 2002

Dear readers of the MacOSX-TeX mailing list:

I just wanted to let you know about a new OS X app I have written.  It's
called "Equation Service" and it's a specialized front-end to pdflatex meant
for typesetting equations and small amounts of text.

The main feature of Equation Service is that it is a system service.  Any
services-aware app that supports string output and PDF/TIFF input will gain
the ability to turn a highlighted string into a small typeset PDF from
pdflatex.

The beauty of Equation Service is that these small PDF files can be made
exactly the size of the typeset equation, so you can be typing along in
Mail, TextEdit, OmniGraffle, iOrganize, etc, type a LaTeX equation,
highlight it, and then call Equation Service to insert the typeset version
right at the cursor.

It's hard to describe, but if you're interested, please check out the
webpage

http://homepage.mac.com/dougrowland/EquationService (main page)

http://homepage.mac.com/dougrowland/EquationServiceAbout.htm  (about
Equation Service)

Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions for
improvements.  This is meant to be open-source freeware, but the source is
still a little messy and needs work before I release it.

Especially useful would be improved "templates" that let you input long
numbered equations or equation arrays and that would fit the PDF file just
around the appropriate bounding box.

Thanks.

Doug Rowland
rowland at fields.space.umn.edu