[OS X TeX] Different TeX platforms

Andy Doller andy at sabine.acs.psu.edu
Thu Mar 14 10:53:42 EST 2002

As a recent convert to the world of Mac by the powers of OSX, I have
just experienced what Mac users have experienced for a long time - a
disparity between windows and mac software features/versions.  Except,
to my surprise, the disparity was in reverse.

When typing 'pdftex' at a windows prompt with the latest version of
MiKTeX(2.1) installed, I see that the pdftex is version 1.00a-200010813;
an older version than what is included in the TeXLive-teTeX from the
TeXShop site (1.00b-pretest-20020211).  A few questions result: What
concerns should I have when collaborating with people between these two
versions?  Are the revisions just to keep instep with the development
of OSX pdf/tex applications?  What other TeX-Live-teTeX packages need to
be updated to use this later version on the windows machine? How would
one do that? An aside, is this really platform independence when
versions are platform dependent?

Thanks for your comments,
Andy Doller

Graduate student beginning
to think about LaTeX'ing
unwritten dissertation

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Eps Graphi
>
> On Wednesday, March 13, 2002, at 06:58 , Sam Broderick wrote:
>
> Problem.
>
> > teTeX
> > installer version 2002-01-24-21-04-29)
>
> Upgrade first. Or wait a few days, a new release is coming up.

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.