[OS X TeX] problem using gs 6.52 with teTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Mar 7 16:30:21 EST 2002

Hi Gerben

> The difference between -Ppdf and not is thus that it uses type 1
> versions of available metafont fonts. These look slightly worse when
> printing, normally, because they are resolution independent and thus
> less optimized for actual printing.
>
> The official teTeX way of handling this is doing a lot of unix stuff and
> runnig some unix scripts to make using the type1 metafont variants the
> default. But that would disable returning in an easy way to maximum
> print quality, so this is why I do not ship it that way. Moving from no
> type1-variants to type1-variants is simple (-Ppdf) but the other way
> around is impossible from teh command line without changing your setup.

This is precisely the point that I've tried to make a couple of times,
on this and/or the pdftex list, when people have asked why Type 1 fonts
are not the default for dvips.
You have just said it better than I was able to.

> Since altpdftex is called by TeXShop when it wants the tex+dvips+gs
> route, it would be best that you could give it free format arguments.
> you could then add --dviopts "-Ppdf" to the calling of altpdftex.
> Richard Koch has promised to look at that for a next release.
>
> pdfTeX on the other hand assumes it makes PDF anyway, and is therefore
> configured to use as many sclable type1 versions as it can find.
>

> All of this has absolutely *nothing* to do with gs.

Not quite true. You can make it relevant to GS, since you can
 --- and probably should --- configure GS to find the Type 1 fonts
itself. It has a Fontmap file, as well as a variable $GS_FONTS .

Now you can write config files for  dvips  (called  config.gs and
 psfonts.gs , say)  which cause Type 1 fonts to be *not* embedded
into the .ps files generated using   dvips -Pgs .
This keeps the files much smaller in size, yet they work perfectly
with  ps2pdf  or any other use of Ghostscript, since it finds the
fonts itself.

This is easily the best way to work with LaTeX2HTML, which needs to
make *lots* of PostScript images, prior to processing these
with Ghostscript, to eventually become .gif or .png .
(The difference can be hundreds of MB of temporary storage.)

BTW, it's better to use Type 1 rather than resolution-optimized bitmaps
for these low-res images, since Ghostscript can anti-alias the fonts.
The results on-screen are truly significant.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.