OT: [OS X TeX] The measure of progress

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Sun Mar 31 04:11:29 EST 2002

On Sunday, March 31, 2002, at 05:57 , Adrian Heathcote wrote:

> All
>
> I'm concerned about the rate of change for TeXShop. Incremental changes
> in the decimal column mean that it will take 81 changes for us to ever
> get to TeXShop 2.00. Assuming, for the moment, a constant rate of
> revision of one change every month, that means that we will not get to
> 2.00 for almost seven years!

Why seven year.s? I envisage a TeXShop.app version 1.136...

> But the reality is likely to be far worse. If we assume that Dick Koch
> improves TeXShop with every revision, so as to make future revisions
> less needed and therefore less frequent, I think we can easily envision
> a scenario whereby none of us ever lives to see TeXShop 2.00!

Hah, the lure of beautiful round numbers. Raed "The Number Sense" by
Stanislas Dehaene (Penguin).

Seriously, I think a major revision is something you do when you lose
upward compatibility of the old version with the new version. That could
come for instannce when Dick stops using that *.texshop method for
keeping track of the root of the project. Or something else.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.