[OS X TeX] Fonts included with Textures?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Mar 26 17:44:48 EST 2002

On 3/26/02 1:29 PM, "Zachary Davis" <zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu> wrote:

> I had purchased Textures before OS X had been released, when I was just
> learning TeX.  I really like the Lucida Grande font, and would somehow
> like to include that font in my documents.  I have since moved to teTeX
> in conjunction with TeXShop, and was wondering whether the necessary
> files to install a Lucida Grande font might be included on the Textures
> disk I still have lying around.  I remember Gary awhile ago posting
> something to this affect, where he had gotten a Lucida family installed
> into his teTeX installation.

Here are some details on the installation of the Lucida Bright family (I
assume that is what you are referring to -- if not, I apologize):

[1] Take your existing Lucida fonts and convert them to .pfb files using Tom
Kiffe's conversion utility. You can find it at:

<http://www.kiffe.com/cmactex.html>

You will want to open his "essential" AppleScript "lwfn2pfb script txt" in
the Script Editor and save it as an application so that you can drag and
drop your fonts on it for conversion. This AppleScript will call the CMacTeX
binary "t1utils", so be sure you have that too. After creating the
AppleScript, drag and drop all 41 of your Lucida fonts onto the AppleScript
and after a few seconds, 41 .pfb files will appear (you will have 41 if you
have the entire Lucida set from Y&Y).

[2] You will now need to rename those new .pfb files. Here is a list of the
the new names and the corresponding old names:

New     Old
===     ===
lbc     LucidCalIta
lbd     LucidBriDem
lbdsc   LucidBriSmaDem
lbdi    LucidBriDemIta
lbh     LucidHanIta
lbi     LucidBriIta
lbki    LucidCasIta
lbkr    LucidCas
lbl     LucidBla
lbma    LucidNewMatArr
lbme    LucidNewMatExt
lbmi    LucidNewMatIta
lbmo    LucidNewMatAltIta
lbms    LucidNewMatSym
lbmsd   LucidNewMatSymDem
lbr     LucidBri
lbrsc   LucidBriSma
lbsl    LucidBriObl
lbtb    LucidTypBol
lbtbo   LucidTypBolObl
lbto    LucidTypObl
lbtr    LucidTyp
lfd     LucidFaxDem
lfdi    LucidFaxDemIta
lfi     LucidFaxIta
lfr     LucidFax
lsb     LucidSanBol
lsbi    LucidSanBolIta
lsd     LucidSanDem
lsdi    LucidSanDemIta
lsi     LucidSanIta
lsr     LucidSan
lstb    LucidSanTypBol
lstbo   LucidSanTypBolObl
lsto    LucidSanTypObl
lstr    LucidSanTyp
lbmad   LucidNewMatArrDem
lbmd    LucidNewMatDem
lbmdi   LucidNewMatDemIta
lbmdo   LucidNewMatAltDemIta
lbmr    LucidNewMatRom

Be sure and leave the .pfb extensions on the renamed files.

[3] Once you have renamed the files, then you simply need to put them in the
right place. Put the .pfb files in the following places:

In: ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lubright
Put:
lbd.pfb
lbdi.pfb
lbdsc.pfb
lbi.pfb
lbr.pfb
lbrsc.pfb
lbsl.pfb

In: ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucida
Put:
lbc.pfb
lbh.pfb
lbki.pfb
lbkr.pfb
lbl.pfb
lbtb.pfb
lbtbo.pfb
lbto.pfb
lbtr.pfb

In: ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucidfax
Put:
lfd.pfb
lfdi.pfb
lfi.pfb
lfr.pfb

In: ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucsans
Put:
lsb.pfb
lsbi.pfb
lsd.pfb
lsdi.pfb
lsi.pfb
lsr.pfb
lstb.pfb
lstbo.pfb
lsto.pfb
lstr.pfb

In: ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lumath
Put:
lbma.pfb
lbmad.pfb
lbmd.pfb
lbmdi.pfb
lbmdo.pfb
lbme.pfb
lbmi.pfb
lbmo.pfb
lbmr.pfb
lbms.pfb
lbmsd.pfb

[4] Now it should work. Simply create a new LaTeX document and include
something like:

\usepackage[expert]{lucidabr}

and you it should use the Lucida fonts. I know people don't like
attachments, so here is a nice summary of the options available:

Options for the lucidabr package (paraphrased from lucidabr.txt):

See lucidabr.txt for details on the package options.
To get the documentation for the lucidabr package, run TeX
(or LaTeX) on the file lucidabr.dtx and print the result.

The lucidabr package contains the code to support the Lucida Bright
and Lucida New Math fonts. You invoke it using

    \usepackage[...]{lucidabr}

where the ... indicated optional arguments.  This package supports
several options.  The default options are:

    [noexpert,lucidascale,mathitalic1,slantedgreek,errorshow]

(*) [noexpert] Lucida Bright Expert fonts *not* available
(*) [expert] Lucida Bright Expert fonts available (needed for bold math)

Special scaling has been set up for Lucida Bright fonts to control
the relative sizes of text and math fonts.
The default is to scale, but two options allow you to
revert to `normal' behaviour, or get even smaller.

(*) [lucidascale]
(*) [nolucidascale]
(*) [lucidasmallscale]

Choose style of letters in math. Italic3 is not really italic at all,
more a roman font with math spacing. Italic2 is not really
slanted but a different style of italic.

(*) [mathitalic1]            % `alternate' math italic (lbmo) default
(*) [mathitalic2]            % original math italic (lbmi)
(*) [mathitalic3]            % upright `math italic' (lbmr)

Choose between slanted and upright lowercase Greek.
Uppercase Greek is always upright.

(*) [slantedgreek]
(*) [uprightgreek]

Define extra command names to access:
uppercase slanted Greek (\varGamma...)
lowercase upright Greek (\upalpha...)
Irrespective of whether \alpha is accessing upright or
slanted Greek alphabet.

(*) [vargreek]

Do not define individual command names to all the AMS
math symbols (and a few extra Lucida math symbols).
This makes this package emulate the amsfonts package rather
than the amssymbl package. It saves a lot of space for smaller
TeX systems. You can then just define commands for the symbols
you are going to use.

(*) [noamssymbols]

Font encoding for the operators font.
Normally this options does not need to be explicitly
given as the default is to use the current default text
encoding, so if \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} is used before
These options are similar to the ones provided by the
mathtime package. Note that when cm fonts are being used
the OT1 encoding is always used for the operators font
as it is required to access Greek in that case. However
Lucida Bright provides upper and lowercase Greek in the math fonts.

(*) [OT1]        % TeX text
(*) [LY1]        % TeX 'n ANSI
(*) [T1]        % Cork

(*) [seriftt]    % use Lucida Typewriter instead of Lucida Sans Typewriter
(*) [fax]        % use Lucida Fax instead of Lucida Bright
(*) [casual]    % Use Lucida Casual instead of Lucida Bright
(*) [calligraphic]    % Use Lucida Calligraphic for italic text
(*) [handwriting]    % Use Lucida Handwriting Italic for italic text

This package makes a lot of font re-assignments. Normally these
generate warning messages on the terminal, however getting so many
messages would be distracting, so a further three options control the
font tracing. Even more control may be obtained by loading the
tracefnt package.

(*)    [errorshow] Only show font *errors* on the terminal.
    Warnings are just sent to the log file. This is the default
    for this package.

(*)    [warningshow] Show font warnings on the terminal. This
    corresponds to the usual LaTeX 2e behaviour.

(*)    [nofontinfo] Suppress all font warnings, even from the log file.

Good luck,

Gary

"help" (no quotes) in the body.