[OS X TeX] Two questions (documentation-related)

Arun Mangalam arun_mangalam at mac.com
Wed Mar 27 09:08:25 EST 2002

On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 02:37 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> - Does anybody know where in teTeX the documentation for ConTeXt
> resides? teTeX's HTML documentation
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/doc/index.html has an hyperlink to
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/doc/context/base/ms-cb-en.pdf,
> unfortunately this file doesn't exist.

I couldn't find the documentation, so I went to their website...

	http://www.pragma-ade.nl

Although, if you know TeX well enough you could look at their code
[/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/*] which has snippets of
documentation. :)

> - Does anybody know how to search for a file in teTeX's directory
> /usr/local/teTeX. Everytime I try to use Sherlock on this directory, it
> finds nothing, even when I search for a file which is actually there. I
> guess this has something to do with access authorizations (I am
> administrator on my G4), since Sherlock says the folder
> /usr/local/teTeX cannot be indexed.

As someone mentioned, use either XLocate in the GUI environment or run

	sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

to update the database, and from then on use "locate" to find any file.
i.e. running "locate meta-fig" on my machine returns

	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/meta-fig.tex

This file represents ConTeXt stand-alone TeX and MetaPost capabilities.
You can also use grep to look within the entire directory for certain
TeX commands, such as
	grep startTEXpage *
which returns, when you are inside the above "base" directory:
	meta-fig.tex:\def\startTEXpage%

- Arun

"help" (no quotes) in the body.