[OS X TeX] dvips doesn't work

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Tue May 14 15:19:34 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 14, 2002, at 07:40 , Gérard Degrez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since my first installation of tetex (on a PowerBook G3 WallStreet),
> dvips has never worked. I reinstalled the whole system recently, with
> the most recent distribution of the tetex binaries and it's still the
> same: when I run dvips, I get a segmentation fault (without any other
> information on the console).
> It's no big deal for me, as I almost never use dvips any more, but I
> was wondering whether anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Yes. I have had several reports about this issue. All of them so far
were the result of using configuration or map files with classic Mac OS
style line endings (CR). While TeX can handle all styles on all systems,
dvips currently cannot.

Most of the time this happens when people have an older texmf tree that
they put in ~/Library/texmf. And due to a buglet in certain parts of teX
Live and teTeX, this gets copied over into
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local.

I plan to make a solution (including a script) part of the TNH section
on http://www.rna.nl/tex.html soon.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.