[OS X TeX] Adobe fonts and CM

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Tue May 28 10:45:50 EDT 2002

Le mardi 28 mai 2002, à 03:43 PM, Xoán Pedracova a écrit :

> 	Possibly, this has been dealt  here before but, is there any way
> to combine computer modern fonts and the adobe postscript  ones without
> bad displaying? I'm trying to produce  a master thesis with teTeX in
> MacOSX and the Adobe Garamond font as default roman. Following the
> given hints in this list a few weeks ago I got it installed, but I've
> noticed the mathsyms I need to  use aren't displayed well, I guess this
> happens because they are computer modern fonts and I have  to comment
> the updmap file as follows. Am I wrong?
>
> #lw35=urw-kb             # URW fonts (download type1 files using Berry
> names)
> # lw35=urw-urw          # URW fonts (download type1 files using URW
> names)
> lw35=adobe-kb         # Adobe fonts (download type1 files using Berry
> names)

Four remarks/suggestions (to handle with care, I've no time to test so
this might as well be complete rubbish):

- If you use T1 encoding (instead of OT1), I think EC/TC fonts are used
for math instead of CM. This means METAFONT fonts are used instead of
PostScript fonts (PS versions of CM fonts are included in teTeX, PS
versions of EC/TC fonts aren't - they are fairly recent and are called
cm-super). Hence the bad screen display - in any case it should print
fine. So if your problem arises from there - try to install cm-super
fonts, they're on CTAN in fonts/ps-type1/cm-super/.

- You might want to replace CM fonts for math by fonts constructed from
Adobe fonts using some virtual font trickery. There aren't any for Adobe
Garamond (AFAIK), but such fonts have been constructed for Times and
Palatino; they are loaded by \usepackage{mathptmx} and
\usepackage{mathpazo}. So, assuming Garamond's look and feel are similar
to Palatino's, for example, you might try to write (in this order):

\usepackage{mathpazo}       % replaces CM (both text and math fonts) by
Palatino
\usepackage{garamond}      % replaces Palatino for text by Garamond

The last package is not, I think, in teTeX, but can be generated from
macros/latex/contrib/supported/psnfssx/adobe/ on CTAN.

- You may also like to try LY1 encoding as an alternative to T1 for
PostScript fonts (IMHO LY1 is superior). Explanations and support files
(including files for Adobe Garamond) are available for free from:

http://www.YandY.com/ly1.htm           % explanations
http://www.YandY.com/usely1.htm    % support files for Adobe fonts

(But I assume that if you're writing your master thesis you're not
precisely willing to experiment with fonts as this stage!)

- All this might as well be obsolete in any case, since PSNFSS (LaTeX's
support of PostScript fonts) has just changed - again :-( The new
version on CTAN is from ~ May 20.

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.